Friday, 26 September 2008

My First Broken Bone

Fear not, I am actually talking about me and not Brynn, all is well on the sick munchkin front. No, I manged to break something in my toe. I know not very exciting, but damn, it is very painful. I was doing the classic "I'll just kick that out of the way" with no shoes on and I missed a bit and smashed my poor baby toe full force into the wood frame of the couch. The side of my foot is now a nice purple-black colour. Oops. Who could have known, rock climbing, white water kayaking... nope, my first broken bone came while cleaning the house. It's dangerous being an at-home parent.

Speaking of which, I am now on my last official day of parental leave and as soon as Mike gets back from a 4 day kayaking trip (poor guy), I officially pass on the role of at home parent to him. Unfortunately he passes on the role of bringing home the bacon to me. It's a good thing bacon is tasty because, other than the desire to have food and shelter, I am not in a hurry to get back to the office.

However, regardless of that I have been looking for work. Last night I had the equivalent of a first round interview with the government. They now send out a timed "homework" assignment to people on their first short list and then from there they make up their interview list. I think I did pretty well, but I'm not sure I would want this job. I think it's more of a practice run through for me, afterall I haven't really gone through the full application - interview process in a while and I'm probably pretty rusty. I also figured I'd call up the Ministry of Forest and Range. They had posted a job I was really interested in, but I hadn't herad anything, but I quickly found out why. Apparently they had 194 people make the first cut, which is a bit crazy. So they've had to hire a consultant to go through those 194 resumes for them and narrow it down. The lady said that they will hopefully have a lits by the middle of next week... so here's to hoping.

On the illness front, we've all pretty much made it through the worst of the cold. Brynn slept through the night last night for the first time since she got sick. YEY! Wow, I forgot how much it sucks when she is up every hour. argh.
Today's discovery by Brynn... she can pull herself in to a standing position in her crib. Unfortunately she go tso excited at this discovery she started jumping up and down and then threw her hands in the air, causing her to go flying backwards, and then pull herself up again. It was very entertaining. :)

We went swimming by ourselves yesterday. I consider this a major accomplishment for me, since the facilites don't really have a place to change a wet wriggling baby. Mike and I have always gone together. Inevitably when I finally had her dried off and lying on my towel for a new diaper, she peed all over it. Fortunately I had brought a spare, so she actually peed all over Mike's towel. I'll make sure to tell him when he gets home that he should wash it. :)

It actually worked out pretty well considering my "timed assignment" went until 6pm and swimming started at 6:30. Which reminds me, a HUGE thank you to Christine who not only took Brynn for a walk so I could do the assignment, but brought back dinner for me. You rule!

1 comment:

Jai and Lauren Soloy said...

Oh my Goodness - Brynn is such a cutie! What a big smile :) Thanks for your note the other day. I've been feeling sick and lazy, but I did finally update the Blog. Good luck on your job applications!