Friday, 22 August 2008

6 Months Old and SO Busy

Brynn celebrate her 6 month birthday yesterday with a face full of cereal and a swim.
There have been a lot of happenings in the past couple of weeks for the little bean. We went to our first baby group at the public health unit, here we met up with Sophia and Michelle and a lot of other new parents from the area. Brynn and Sophia did a little hand holding and chatting.

There were two other babies there born on the same day as Brynn. I wasn't too sure about going, I didn't really think it would be my thing, but it turns out it was definitely Brynn's thing. She was so excited to see all the other babies and to chat with and chew on them. Michelle and I went that week because the topic was safety, so we figured it would be useful. I didn't really find out anything I didn't already know, but it was fun to watch Brynn with the other babies. We went again the next week, which was reading week, and a local librarian came in and read baby books and sang songs while playing with puppets, so that was pretty amusing. Brynn already has a pretty good little collection of books she likes, but I think we will have to head over to the library soon to spice things up a little. Hmmmm... library and spicing things up in the same sentence... I wonder how often that happens?



I figured it was time for me to get in the pool with Mike and Brynn this week. Brynn is starting to get a bit more comfortable on her back and starting to help kick her way across the pool. They also got to go in the deep end, so Brynn had the chance to use her pfd. We are trying to get her used to it for when we go out in the kayaks.

Brynn started solid (ish) food this week. We started her off on the classic rice pabulum. The first day she spent most of her time trying to escape the high chair and eating her spoon. The next day she kind of got the idea a bit and even managed to tip her head and swallow a bit on purpose. Last night, she was an eating machine. Mike said she reminded him of a little piranha. So, apparently, rice cereal is a hit.
I actually wanted to start her on it a couple of weeks ago because she hasn't really gained any weight in the past two months and has been very interested in food, but everyone is so insistent on waiting until they are 6 months old, so I relented.

We also had to go out and get her a new car seat this past week. While she isn't gaining weight she is still gaining length and she had outgrown her infant seat, so now she has what looks like her own lazy boy in the car. It still has to face backwards because she's not 20 pounds, but it got the falling asleep seal of approval on the way home.

In Mike and me news...

I had a technique training day at the gym last weekend, which was great. One of my problems teaching in a formal training environment is that I never learned in a formal environment. Most of the time when I teach or help someone with a specific skill it is because that's where they need help at that specific time, which is more coaching than formal instructing, so this course was great for me.

Mike received some good news from his physiotherapist this week too, she said he can start running again. Not as hard as he used to, but he can start. Yey! He also participated as a safety kayaker in the Kayak for a Cure fundraiser to help raise money for cancer research. They paddled from Brentwood Bay to Mill Bay and back.

We also managed to get out to dinner with my mom and Brynn this week. She as in town for the Dragon Boating last weekend and we owed her a birthday dinner. I wasn't really sure how well it would work since Brynn no longer sleeps very much during the day, so there was no chance she'd sleep in the restaurant, but it worked out fairly well. I think it helped having 3 adults there because we could all eat and take turns amusing or watching her. The bench in the corner helped a lot too because she had enough room to lie down or sit in the corner and play with her toys a bit. I will definitely have to remember that for next time.

So all is well in the happy kid household.

:)
Christie

No comments: