Sunday, 21 March 2010

Wrapping it up

I figure since it's been over a month since we got back from Hawaii it's time to wrap up the Hawaii stories. :)

Here are a few more shots from the Big Island...

From the Big Island we flew back to Honolulu. I have to say, I won't go Big Island then Oahu ever again. It's sort of like going from a Zen garden (which they actually had at the airport on the Big Island) to a rock and roll concert. Next time, Big Island second.

Anyway, on the flight I noticed Brynn had a bit of a cough. For those of you who didn't know, Brynn had pneumonia back in December and has a cough pretty much ever since. We had her on inhalers since the end of January and she was still on them on the trip, so pretty much they only thing we had no medical coverage in the US for was if she got a lung infection, or anything an insurance company can say was caused by a lung infection. This is because no matter what travel medical you get, preexisting conditions that you've seen a doctor for in the previous 3 months have zero coverage. Yes, this is a bit of foreshadowing.

We rented our next SUV packed up and headed to the apartment we were staying at next. Neither was very impressive so no pics here, but it was about 10 feet from the beach so that was a definite upside.

One of mom's trips down they had flags up for a jellyfish warning.

We headed over to the polo fields for Mike to check in for the tournament... nice view hey...

...and then back to the house to unpack and get a bit of rest.
Unfortunately, that night Brynn's cough got worse, so I didn't get a whole lot of sleep and pulled out the thermometer a few times, which I'd brought along with Children's Tylenol and Advil, just in case. No fever yet.

The next day was the first day of play for Mike and he got to meet his team and hang out with Brynn a bit between games.
He also, for the first time since I've known him, got some new ulti shorts.
The previous shot with Brynn is probably the last one I will ever have of him in the infamous yellow shorts. I actually had a hard time finding him on the field (my mom spotted him first by his stance).

Nah, Mike doesn't always stand like this on the field. :D

During the next couple of days while Mike was playing, Mom, Brynn and I had grand plans of visiting the cultural centre, marine park and other local attractions, but alas, Brynn got worse, developing a fever that was gradually increasing to the point where she wouldn't eat again. When she has a fever she won't eat except during the time Advil brings her temperature down.
Needless to say I was starting to get very concerned. Feverish toddler on inhalers with no medical insurance in the middle of the Pacific. Oh joy.

So instead we decided to hang around the fields and the beach near the apartment.
It was actually a nice change from trying to see everything, except for the sick baby part. From a spectator point of view, this was one of the funnest tournaments I have ever been to. The setting was beautiful, the people were super friendly and it was just all around fun. Mind you it's hard to imagine it not being fun when you get leid, frisbeed and handed food and condoms when you check in.

Occasionally between games Brynn would have to run on to the field to give Mike a daddy hug and then it was back to the sidelines to watch.

Even though she was feeling crummy, Brynn still managed to have fun and experience some new things like waves in bare feet and super soft Hawaii sand and sandcastle building.

As Brynn got a bit worse we did talk about leaving early and mom said she would come back with me so Mike could finish his tournament. I checked into flights and it was an extra $300 per person to go back early. Still cheaper than a trip to the clinic. We decided to wait to see if she got a bit better.

Sunday night we all headed to the fields for dinner and the spirit awards, and what was supposed to be a hula demonstration, but alas there were power issues, so it was delayed and Brynn was not feeling very good so we had to head out before it was up and running again. I was a bit sad that I didn't get to see any hula on our trip, but hey, rain forests, volcanoes and frisbees, not a bad trip. I think it was also mom's first time eating from a frisbee or being in a giant tent full of people eating from frisbees. Just a guess. :)

Unfortunately that night, Brynn got worse and her temperature went up a couple more degrees. By 3am Monday it was time to pack up and head home. The flight out of Hawaii leaves at 9 am, so I checked online and luckily for us the flight leaving that morning we only had to pay a change fee, so we packed up and Mike drove us back into Honolulu so my mom and I could take Brynn home. Thanks for coming with mom!

Mike stayed to finish off the tournament and had a chance to head into the city with some of the guys from his team. I'm glad we headed back when we did because she started getting very stuffed up once we were back home, and up and down in planes isn't very much fun for a toddler without a stuffed up nose. Brynn ended up missing the whole next week of daycare and both my mom and I got sick in the following few days.

All of us recovered well though and Brynn is finally off her inhalers, although she still has a bit of a cough that I'm hoping is going to go away on its own. Hopefully sooner rather than later!
Alright one more Hawaii photo...

I know we've seen this one already, but I love it.
:)

1 comment:

Anna-Marie said...

Sorry to hear about the sick little one. I enjoyed the update though. The beaches look beautiful. I'll send an update of my latest exploits soon (Kenya and Tanzania!).

Hugs for the entire family!