Sunday, 7 March 2010

Next Stop...

To give you an idea of where things are on the Big Island, here's a map that covers most of the areas we were when there...
Just a quick recap, the house we were staying in was just outside Volcano Village at around 1,250 metres (4000 feet), the Steam vent picture of Brynn was up by the caldera, the sea arch and coastal pictures are down where the road was closed due to lava, and then we headed back up to the petroglyphs. Driving this road really messes with your ears.

Our next stop after the petroglyphs was the Thurston Lava Tube. By this time Brynn was more than ready to get out of the car and go explore. :)

The lava tube is about 400 year old and goes on for 300 feet. About the first 40 feet are lit and then after that you need a headlamp or a flashlight.


This is the entrance to the lit section. We headed into the unlit part and started walking, it seemed to go on forever; we eventually stopped once we reached a chamber where part of the roof had fallen down. I was trying to find a map of the unlit section of the tunnel, but I've had no luck so far. Here is a map of the lit section.
The little dotted part at the top is the entrance to the unlit section. Brynn was a bit unsure at first, but then she was good... right up until we turned around and I said, "wow, this is a bit creepy." Apparently she understands more than I give her credit for. You think I would learn.

No comments: