A lot of my "spare" time has been used for training in my new second job. I've always had something extra on the side, usually proposal writing as a nice little top up for fun and travel, but I have been lucky enough for the past few years to just have remaining commissions from work past still coming in. Now that those have dried up, I really didn't want to go back to writing proposals... I actually like watching paint dry better, so I decided to start using my business degree and get licensed for segregated funds and mutual funds.
A big part of that decision was around watching my money and my families money not do a whole lot of anything over the past 10 years (yes, everyone can say that everyone's stocks have performed poorly, but overall people should have seen a reasonable increase, and 5-7% is not unreasonable even during these times). It also comes from knowing I have a number of friends who were either ripped off or just generally screwed over by the industry. What I saw as a noticeable lack of ethics in the industry is actually why when I focused on taking finance during my business degree I actually did not go on to do that as a career.
So what's changed?
Well, I'm not really sure anything has changed in the industry as a whole, but I've sort of realized that it depends on what company you choose to associate with and what their philosophy is. Another big part is what the incentive is and why you are involved, I found that a significant number of advisers are in it for themselves and for the big money clients, not those of us will less than a million dollars to start with.
For me, this is not my primary source of income by far, and my main goal is to help those I know and love understand what their situation is, improve it, and demystify finances as much as possible for myself and my friends. It's also great because I love numbers and I love teaching... and I know I will be telling them, and myself the truth. Anyway, that's what's been keeping me busy. :)
Now on to what Brynn and I have been up to together for the past couple of months. I think a round of photos is in order, although it will definitely take more than one post to play catch up!
Fall fair time!
Brynn and I managed to find the kids ride at the fair that she loved so much last year, that a full year later, the operator remembered her resulting in a nice supplement of free rides along with the ones mom, Oma and great Opa helped fund.
Yeah, that's right... these are my mini donuts... don't even think about it.
We also managed to make it up to Uncle Ewen's place when my Aunt was visiting from Alberta. I think it had been about 20 years since I had seen her last.
Brynn also spent some time late summer learning how to ride her bike. I wish I could say I taught her, but I've learned I have to choose my "battles," so I enrolled her in bike camp. :)
She's not quite there without the training wheels (lack of mom dedicated practice time), but she's getting there.
But of course, she wouldn't do it if I was watching, so I became friends with the corner of a building near by.
That's all for now, time for some rest... I will try to have the second fall update posted before Spring. ;)




No comments:
Post a Comment