Saturday, 21 April 2012

More March adventures... wait, is it April?

One of the wonderful surprises I received in March was that for the first time in about two years I headed back into River's Inlet for work.

Granted, this was in March, and in general we don't go in before May due to weather, but it was a nice surprise to be asked back to the table to go through some work I had done a couple years ago. This is a table I used to sit at, but as is the way with government the organizational structure changed and so did my tables. The downside of change in government is sometimes it is so fast that you don't get to say goodbye, so it was nice to come back for a "guest appearance."


As you can see it was a bit frosty (read as pretty damn cold) to be taking the Goose, which for those of you who haven't been in one, is essentially a metal shell of a plane with fold-up seats that can land in the water or on land. I love my down jacket... and fleece... and soft shell... and toque... and gloves.

When it was time to fly out of Port Hardy, we were stuck there for a day due to a wind storm, and head into the village though the sky cleared and we had a beautiful sunny, but still freezing, trip into the village. This is the first time I have been there where we actually landed on the water. Apparently at this time of the year the runway is too soft to land on (it is a strip of dirt / gravel cut out of the forest).


After a couple of days in it was time to head back... or so we thought, but of course, on the Coast in March it is really up to Mother Nature. After periods of sun, a couple rainstorms, and amazing snow fall we settled in for another night. It's hard to tell in this photo, but all that white is actually mountain.


I have to admit, it's hard to feel too bad about being weathered in when the community is holding a feast in the big house the night you are "stuck." So being stuck really meant eating fabulous food an having some time to relax, once the long distance scrambling had been done to find care for Brynn for an extra day. The tricky part of this community is cell phones don't work, the internet you could get for a few 30 second periods at best, and you can't call out using the phone in the lodge, so I had to get enough internet to get the phone number to Mike and then coordinate.

Luckily we were only there for an extra day, and I was very grateful to be able to go back and say goodbye to the people I had worked with.

3 comments:

Jack and Cate said...

It is great to see you being able to travel to such interesting locations that most people will never get the chance to see.

Good on you!

Jack and Cate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Our Family said...

River's inlet is a beautiful place. The first time I flew in there I felt like I was flying into the islands shown in Jurassic Park. I'd never seen mountians like those before.