Friday, 19 February 2010

Big Island Adventures

I have to say I love being in a rain forest, regardless of where it is... Lin if you think BC is green head for the Big Island in Hawaii!!!

We started off our adventures with a flight to Seattle and then on to Oahu. There we crashed in the airport hotel so we could head out to the Big Island the next day. We brought our Brynn flight survival tools for the 6 hour trip between Seattle and Oahu (new books and a portable dvd player). The flights went pretty well, although I think Brynn expressed all of our feelings with "off the plane?" for the last 45 minutes. Then through customs and we had to figure out the shuttle to the hotel and it was off to bed.

The next day we packed up and headed back to the airport to catch a flight to the Big Island, where our mid-sized SUV turned out to be a Mercedes that everyone moved out of the way of when we drove (well, Mike drove, he liked it so much I didn't really want to separate the two of them). Apparently this wasn't the luxury one... I can only imagine.


From the airport we headed to the grocery store and up to our house in the rain forest, just outside of Volcano National Park.
It was great and the sporadic internet/phone suited the attitude of the place (just accept you are not communicating off-island).

We had some pretty packed days of adventure on the Big Island. We started off visiting the park and taking in the craters and steam vents. Half of the roads around the Kilauea crater were closed because the prevailing winds carried the sulfur dioxide that direction, but there were still some excellent views.
Over our three days there we followed chain of craters road down to the coastline (yes, that's my mom) to check out the sea arch and waves...

...and the Petroglyphs, but more on those soon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

well actually it was a Caddy not a Mercedes!

Anna-Marie said...

Your vacation looks pretty awesome. Very swank, and the pictures look beautiful.

I hope Brynn had a great birthday. Give her a hug for me... and Diana has a birthday present for her.

love from Malawi!