Saturday, 7 September 2013

Kindergarten, wow!

I don't consider myself a very sentimental person, but that is apparently a bunch of nonsense.

Brynn had her first day of kindergarten this past week and I wasn't overly excited, and didn't make a big deal of it. She's gone to 3 different day cares and in my mind this was just another day care. Well, when I got to her dad's to pick the two of them up and they were both very excited I felt a bit puzzled. They were quoting Finding Nemo's "First Day of School! First Day of School!"

Unusually for me I didn't even bring my camera.

I think in part it was because we were originally told it was only going to be a part day and not with the same teacher they would end up with, so it sort of felt like no big deal. Well, I was wrong. 

When we got to the school they direct you all to the gymnasium where they have the 4 kindergarten teachers (I don't think I ever went to a school with more than 2) standing at one side of the gym. The principal introduces the teachers and then starts reading off a list of kids that then line up behind the teacher and leave the room.

Brynn, of course being Brynn, runs right in and is super excited to see kids she knows and forgets all about sitting with mom and dad (sniff). This is when it really hits me. She's already at that point where she'd rather be with her friends than mom and dad. Awwww. Well, almost. After a few 'come on back' waves she heads back holding hands with her friend Chloe, who we had also held a seat for, along with her mom, and is happy as a clam. That is, until I tell her that they may not be in the same class (I actually knew they weren't n the same class because I had asked when I walked in, knowing this would be stressful for Chloe). This resulted in her curling up on my lap saying "I'm not sure about this anymore." A little heart wrenching for me, who is used to her not caring who she is with, and even harder for Chloe's mom Leah, because Chloe is now glued to her arm. I still think it was better for them to have had an idea before they were school yard picked into different classes. 

Leah and I had taken the girls to their first music class the day before and had heard from a few of the mom's about the different teachers; half the kindergartners had gone the day before and others had kids now in grade 1, so now I had an idea who I wanted Brynn to be with, and waited a bit nervously to see who she would end up with.

We watch Chloe go off with her mom and then it's Brynn's turn to wait for her name to be called. Only one teacher left; at least it's the teacher I was hoping Brynn would get. Her name is called and off my lap she goes with her little backpack on clutching her lunch kit in both hands looking unusually hesitant.

I quickly borrowed Mike's phone and took a couple of quick shots, nothing good, but something.

It's funny, even though Mike and I didn't really talk much, and not at all about how we were feeling, I was really glad he was there - sometimes, he just understands the importance of things far more than I do.

Well, Monday is the first regular day of school for Brynn. We will find out if Chloe ended up getting moved into her class, and where her classroom will be and who her teacher is for the year.

This time, I will remember the camera.

No comments: