Mike and Mike have been friends for a loooooong time and he is one of those great guys you can always depend on if you are in a jam, no matter what the issue (including last minute babysitting, Brynn absolutely loves him and Stephanie), and I'm so happy for them. So I wanted to share a few pictures. I think my favourite is when Stephanie first sees Mike.
As you can see my Mike was getting around pretty well at this point, he is now officially cane free as of a couple days ago.
Mike was obviously happy to see him... which may have had something to do with what was in his pocket.
Congratulations guys!
On the home front, we are all settling into our current set-up pretty well. I still miss Brynn and Mike like crazy when they are not here, but it does give me some time to catch-up on things at home. Mike also took me out for a fabulous birthday brunch and movies last week, which was followed up by climbing and the pub with my friends. I took the day off work and the combination was great!
Brynn is still doing her swimming and gymnastics. She realized for the first time the difference between passing a swimming class and not passing. The rec centre gives you a button if you pass and only a ribbon if you don't. She didn't get a button last time and she really wants a button. This can come in handy when she is refuses to put her face in the water, all you have to do is tell her if she wants to get her button, she has to do all the tasks required... insta face in the water.
It will be interesting how this plays out in as her personality develops, she is already pretty competitive and will race you to wherever you happen to be going. Mike and I haven't explained changing levels or what the reports from swimming mean to her yet, but now that she is noticing differences it probably won't be long. Right now Brynn takes multiple swimming lessons in a row, by her request, because she finds the 1/2 hr lessons too short and gets grumpy if she doesn't have more than one class, but Mike and I have tried to keep everything participatory versus competitive.
I actually kind of avoid sitting with other parents at swim lessons, particularly when report cards come out because some of them are just go off about the expectations they have and the teachers.
They are 3 and 4 year olds! Come on people!
Of course, each time I enroll her in multiple classes in a row I get the same look from the teachers until they get her in the water and she gets out saying "next class! next class!". :)
I was actually thinking about pulling her from gymnastics last week and just focusing on swimming. Gymnastics still required parent participation and she wasn't really listening to me, or the teacher, and would simply try to play us against each other, so it was an all around frustrating process, and I think the teacher had lost some patience with her, which was definitely not helping. But, she still seemed to want to do it, so I figured I would try moving her up a level, to be with the 4 year olds and to where mom didn't have to be in the class, before pulling her. I figured it worked with swimming, so it was worth a shot.
I'm not sure if it was the new teacher, or the mom not being there to run to, but she had a great time, and I had a great time watching her. Yey! I was a bit worried how she would do with the older kids who had been in the higher lever for a few months, but I didn't actually realize how much she knew. Once mom wasn't there and a frustrated teacher wasn't there, she followed all the instructions and had a lot of fun.
Lesson to me, sometimes you just have to get out of their way :D
No comments:
Post a Comment